Three Poems by Gabriela Mistral translated by Ariel Riveros Pavez

Softness


When I sing to you,

evil ends on Earth:

all is sweet in your temples:

the ravine, the thorns..



When I sing to you, 

my cruelty fades:

they're soft like your eyelids,

the lioness and the jackal!



Suavidades



Cuando yo te estoy cantando,

en la Tierra acaba el mal:

todo es dulce por tus sienes:

la barrance, el espinar.



Cuando yo te estoy cantando,

se me acaba la crueldad:

suaves son, como tus párpados

¡la leona y el chacal!



Give Me Your Hand



Give me your hand and we'll dance;

give me your hand and you will love me.

We will be like one flower,

like one flower, and nothing more...



We will sing the same verse,

dance the same steps.

We will sway like a sprig of wheat,

like a sprig, and nothing more...



Your name is Rosa and mine is Esperanza;

but you will forget your name

because we are one dance

in the foothills, and nothing more...



Dame La Mano



Dame la mano y danzaremos;

dame la mano y me amarás.

Como una solo flor seremos,

como una flor, y nada más...



El mismo verso cantaremos,

al mismo pas bailarás

Como una espiga ondularemos,

como una espiga, y nada más.



Te llamas Rosa y yo Esperanza;

pero tu nombre olvidarás,

porque seremos una danza

en la colina, y nada más...



I Don't Have Solitude



It's the homeless night

of the sierras to the sea.

but I, who swing you,

I don't have solitude!



It's the homeless sky

if the moon fell in the sea.

But I, who grasps you,

I don't have solitude!



It's the homeless world

and the sad flesh leaves.

But I, who smother you,

I don't have solitude!



Yo No Tengo Soledad



Es la noche desamparo

de las sierras hasta el mar.

Pero you, la que te mece,

¡yo no tengo soledad!



Es el cielo desamparo

si la luna cae al mar.

Pero yo, la que te estrecha,

¡yo no tengo soledad!



Es el mundo desamparo

y la carne triste va.

Pero yo, la que te oprime,

¡yo no tengo soledad!






Comments

Popular Posts